Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Flammkuchen and my Stressful Life

Actually, the Flammkuchen thing was last night, not Monday night, so I really didn't have a lot to talk about yesterday. Flammkuchen could be called the German equivalent of pizza. It was really good, and also the first home-made thing I've eaten in a month. I had lots of fun hanging out with everybody and I got to meet a few new people. I have a really funny story about Maniwa, the Japanese girl I mentioned earlier, however I really don't know how to write about it without sounding dirty or inappropriate. I'll tell you all about it when I get back. Lets just say that the Japanese don't seem to understand the concept of ''personal space''.
Today, I am going to attempt to secure my temporary resident permit, now that I finally have the hundred other documents I need to get it. Please pray that it works out. After I get it, I should be able to matriculate to the university, get my student ID card, and an Internet password. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow morning, but we'll see. I also just realized that my bus pass is going to expire tomorrow, so I need to buy a new one. And I need to pack tonight, because I'm moving into my new dorm tomorrow afternoon. This means I should probably do my laundry tonight, which scares me a bit, considering the German washing and drying machines still confuse me. (Last time I did laundry, I didn't set the dryer right, and my clothes didn't get dry. So naturally, the smart thing to do would be to dry them again. However, you have to go to a place called the Service Point, which, of course, has stupid German office hours and is only open an hour at a time, and buy special coins to put in the machines. So if you run out of washing/drying coins and the office isn't open, you have to improvise. This means that I had all my clothes laid out to dry in every possible open space in my room for two days. Not fun.) Anyway, after I get all of this done, I should be okay. Today was the last day of my language class. Yay! My final grade was a 2, so I'm a bit disappointed, but oh, well. I learned a lot. Tomorrow, there is no class, and then on Friday, the Intensive Course starts, and that lasts for a week. I found out the other day, that only about eight other people signed up for it. This is because everyone wants to go traveling during the Easter holidays. (I'm such a nerd). After the course, I'll only have about five days to go traveling, because I also signed up for an orientation session at the university starting on the tenth. Another interesting thing I found out about German universities, is that if you want to register for a class, you simply show up and the professor will put you on the roster. Weird. I'm planning on taking all of my German classes through the language school, because I don't feel really confident about taking a German literature class with the native speakers. However, that's okay, because I registered to take Medieval German Literature next semester with my favorite German professor. You know, the one who shares my name? ; )
I do feel confident with taking British literature through the university, considering that's taught in English.
Okay, that's all for now. I don't know how often I'm going to update from now on, because tomorrow is the last day I'll get free Internet through the language school. Oh, well.
Wiedersehen!

P.S. Thanks for the camera tips!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Cleyera! It's good to hear about your life, I think about you a lot. Try not to worry and just have fun. I know, easier said than done... I miss you!